Travellers returning to South Africa following repatriation can apply to self-isolate at home, under certain conditions, instead of staying at state-allocated quarantine facilities.
Minister of Health, Zweli Mkhize, introduced the new directive in the Government Gazette of July 17.
A written application must be submitted for approval to the Director General of Health 72 hours prior to the intended date of travel. Once the application is approved, the applicant will be subject to health reporting protocols and regular follow-ups by the Department of Health. The application must include the following:
- Particulars of the place and address where self-quarantine will take place
- Written declaration committing to all conditions for self-quarantine
- Copy of Identity Document or Passport
- Contact details where the applicant may be reached for the duration of the quarantine period
- Details of his or her itinerary for the last 30 days
The form is available for download here. The completed form, along with the supporting documentation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.